REU Site: Nanotechnology for Health, Energy and the Environment is an opportunity for qualified, academically talented and motivated undergraduates interested in eventually pursuing their doctoral degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline at Stony Brook University. The program gives students an intensive research experience with leading researchers in the field.
Participants will work with a faculty mentor and become fully integrated into active research groups using state-of-the-art facilities. Participants will have the opportunity to work closely with their faculty mentor, attend seminars on Research Methods and Graduate School Preparation, participate in workshops and present their research results at the REU Symposium and Closing Ceremony at the completion of the program.
Dates for the 2016 session: May 31st – August 5th, 2016
- Full time research supervised by a faculty mentor
- Research Methods and Graduate School Preparation Workshops
- “Mid Week Lunch Seminar” – every week a faculty member will present a topic based professional development or academic workshop
- Poster Presentation at REU Symposium and Closing Ceremony
- Participants will receive a $4000 summer stipend for full time research
- Lodging and meals will be provided to all participants. A $300 travel award will be provided for those participants living more than 75 miles from the Stony Brook Campus
- Priority deadline is March 18th, 2016 (rolling thereafter)
Open to all undergraduate students majoring in a STEM field with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Applicants must have completed at least their freshman year; graduating seniors are not eligible. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
The deadline for applications is March 18th, 2016.
Application Checklist: For best consideration, each of the following items must be received by the CIE office by the application deadline:
- A completed and signed application submit online
- 2-3 page personal statement as described in Part VI in the application emailed to CIE_GraduateSchool@stonybrook.edu
- Two recommendation forms
- One official transcript from each undergraduate institution attended
To email your Personal Statement and Recommendation forms send to :
CIE_GraduateSchool@stonybrook.edu (Subject: REU Application 2016)
To send hard copies of Application Materials and Transcripts mail to:
Center for Inclusive Education
2401 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3387