2016 Scholarship Application for Rising Juniors and Seniors
The HSBC Scholars Program was established in 2013 by HSBC Bank as an initiative to provide educational funding, financial literacy training and business information and experience to students with unmet financial need pursuing a full-time education in a STEM or business-related field.
The HSBC Scholars Program will promote a positive attitude and incorporate HSBC’s core values of being open, dependable and connected by providing financial support of $5,000/academic year, mentoring, training, paid internship opportunities and networking. Scholarship funds may be used for all eligible educational expenses including tuition, room and board and meal plans.
Paid internships will be available to HSBC Scholars from all participating institutions during the summer May-August time frame. Positions will be hosted by a number of different departments and are based in either New York, NY; Buffalo, NY or in the Chicago, IL metropolitan area. The hourly wage will be approximately $25 per hour. Housing and other general expenses are not included in the internship opportunity. Applicants will be required to apply for the positions and participate in an interview process. Information about the summer internship program for HSBC Scholars will be made available in early 2017.
What is STEM?
STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math and is the preparation of students in competencies and skills in the four disciplines. According to an article in MediaPlanet (June 2012), a successful STEM education provides students with these four subjects in sequences that build upon each other and can be used with real-world applications. The HSBC Scholars Program places special emphasis on technology and math within STEM, and also considers students majoring in business-related academic programs. A list of UB eligible majors is attached.
To be eligible for the 2016 HSBC Scholars Program, candidates must:
* Be enrolled as a full-time junior or senior* at UB for the 2016-2017 academic year (third or fourth year student, with at least one academic semester completed at UB as a full-time student)
*Students eligible to graduate in December 2016 are not eligible to apply.
* Be majoring in a STEM or business-related academic program field. Please see list of eligible majors on page 3
* Agree to participate in all HSBC Scholars Program components which will include, but not be limited to, in-person meetings with a HSBC Mentor, two web-based trainings, and group telephone meetings with HSBC Scholars Program leadership
* Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and maintain this average throughout the scholarship award
* Demonstrate financial need-as demonstrated by FAFSA
* Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
* Complete a short essay
* Use the scholarship funds for qualifying educational expenses during fall/spring (scholarship funds cannot be applied to study abroad or summer expenses)
To apply, send the following information by 5pm on Friday, April 8th, 2016
1. Completed application form (attached)
2. A resume (include information regarding your academic achievements, involvement in campus and community organizations, work experience, and special talents and interests)
3. Response to the following question:
You’ve now completed a significant amount of college work towards your educational goals. How has your college experience allowed you to plan for the future? Where and what do you see yourself doing five years from now? Explain your vision and how you are working toward this goal in a short essay. (Maximum 500 words)
1. One letter or recommendation from a faculty member
Submit your completed application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org(indicate “HSBC Scholars application” in subject line). Alternatively, you may mail or hand-deliver your application materials to:
Attn: HSBC Scholars Award
24 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-1670
Applications must be received by 3pm on Friday, April 8th, 2016
For questions, please contact Elizabeth Colucci at (716) 645-6134 or email@example.com