As a member of the ULSAMP, Cornell University hosts the Cornell University LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (CU-LSAMP REU).
June 1 – August 8, 2014
CU LSAMP REU is a summer research opportunity that provides undergraduate participants with the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty and staff as well as network with others in their field of interest through weekly luncheons.
Undergraduate students, interested in gaining a deeper understanding in an engineering-related field, have the opportunity to conduct and present research over a ten-week duration under the auspices of a Cornell Engineering faculty research mentor. Through this one-on-one partnership, participants will gain theoretical knowledge and practical training in academic research and scientific experimentation. CU LSAMP REU was developed to aid in the retention of traditionally underrepresented minority groups in STEM.
CU LSAMP-R offers participants:
- Approximately 10 weeks of research (June 1- August 8)
- A research stipend of $4,000
- A round-trip travel stipend up to $300 for students living outside of Ithaca, NY
- A double room in a residential hall
- A campus bus pass or a campus parking pass
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratories, libraries, computer/study lounges, etc.
Further, CU LSAMP-R participants have the opportunity to:
- Develop a meaningful research agenda and conduct research with a faculty research mentor
- Present a scientific research talk
- Design a research poster and discuss their poster presentation of their research at a symposium on campus
- Submit a written report at the end of the summer research activity that may lead to a publication
Interested students are highly encouraged to view our CU LSAMP REU Frequently Asked Questionsto gain more insight about the program.
- Participants of CU LSAMP REU must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents and African American, Hispanic/Latino(a), American Indian/Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Have completed at least two semesters of college by the start of the Summer Research Program
- Have at least two semesters remaining of their undergraduate education at the start of the summer program
To Apply [CU LSAMP-REU application]