In the spring (March-April) of 2014, students will be selected to work for 12 weeks (May 19, 2014 – August 8, 2014) in Charleston, SC as paid internships, with financial support for stipends, travel, housing, and research project supplies provided by NSF. Applications will be accepted from science majors who have at least a 2.5 GPA in their major courses (2.0 overall). College transcripts and letters of recommendation from two professors are required. Applicants must provide written statements of fields of interest and goals. Students will be evaluated via scheduled telephone interviews and the information presented in their applications. Mentors experienced in various fields of marine, environmental and coastal ocean science (including chemistry, marine biology, marine policy, toxicology, microbiology, fisheries science, marine, estuarine and wetland ecology) will assist interns in completing independent research projects. Students will develop their research project, while learning scientific problem solving, writing and presentation skills. At the conclusion of the program, students will complete written reports and make oral presentations of their summer research. Participants will also receive classroom instruction on topics that will assist them with completion of their research and presentations.
Goals of the Program
- Increase the number of undergraduate minorities who choose marine or environmental science as a profession;
- Create opportunities for minority undergraduate students to complete independent, mentor-guided, research projects;
- Provide minority students with opportunities to interact with successful scientific minority role models (including former MIMES Program participants) through invited special seminars and interactions with researchers;
- Develop the skills and self-confidence of minority students needed for successful performance in advanced levels of study;
- Offer continued mentorship beyond the scope of the 12-week summer program (e.g., by providing information regarding opportunities for minority undergraduates, offering letters of recommendation as requested, encouraging students to pursue other internships, advanced degrees, and careers in marine and environmental science fields).
Research Experiences for Minority Students: Program Requirements
Applications will be accepted from science majors who have at least a 2.5 GPA in their major courses (2.0 overall).
Applicants must provide:
- College Transcript (original copy preferred)
- Two letters of recommendations (preferably from present or past professors)
- Written statements of fields of interest and goals.
- An application form for the MIMES program – (Adobe PDF File)
- A State of SC Employment Application – (Adobe PDF File).
In addition to the MIMES program, other undergraduate research opportunities are available.
Note – Completed application packages should be postmarked no later than FRIDAY, MARCH 15, 2013. Students are STRONGLY encouraged to make arrangements to have hard copies of all of these application materials sent by U.S. Postal Service together in a single envelop to the contact information shown below.