If students are interested in applying for the “Team Leader Assistant Program”, I would suggest they send their cover letter and resume to Mr. Quinniey’s email address at Quinniey@genmills.com.
Team Leader Assistant Program
General Mills – Buffalo Plant
The Team Leader Assistant Program is designed to provide individuals with an opportunity to learn as much as possible in a limited time span about the manufacturing Team Leader function at General Mills. The individual will also receive and orientation to the total General Mills operation at the specific location. In addition, the program allows the assistant to demonstrate to the company their own personal performance characteristics.
The General Mills Buffalo Plant Operation mission is to provide managerial support for the production, packaging and distribution of Big G Cereals.
The Team Leader Assistant will have exposure to similar experiences assigned to a Team Leader, including one or more of the following responsibilities:
- · System audits and improvement engineering (establish operating parameters, troubleshooting, installations and start-ups of major new systems);
- · Development of safety and sanitation programs;
- · Identification and implementation of cost-savings opportunities;
- · Capability studies-productivity, ingredient loss, system reliability, and overall capability;
- · Ensure quality compliance – perform lab analysis;
- · Shadow Team Leaders and Operators – Learn and perform daily activities/procedures
- · Understand the roles of support and administrative departments.
At the completion of a 3 month summer program, a formal evaluation of the Team Leader Assistant’s contributions and performances are reviewed with the individual. Additionally, a critique from the Team Leader Assistant’s viewpoint is solicited of the strengths and weaknesses of the program. If the individual performs well and continues to be interested in the Team Leader role, we would consider having the assistant work part-time during the school year (16-20 hours) and/or returning the following summer as a Team Leader Assistant.
Normally only a few positions are open, and competition is quite keen.
Location: Buffalo, New York
- · Completed Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior year working towards a BS/BA Industrial Engineering/Technology
- · College student (sophomore level or higher) studying an engineering technology(mechanical, chemical, electrical or industrial management).
- · Willing to work both shifts and weekends during the summer.
- · Available to work part time during the fall/winter/spring.
- · Strong computer skills
- · Strong leadership potential.
- · Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills.
- · Commitment to corporate value of Total Quality & Continuous Improvement.
- · Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- · Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- · Good analytical and business judgment.
- · Effective written and oral communication skills.
- · Committed to results and execution.
- · Self starter with high energy level.
- · Strong conceptual skills and ability to implement change.
- · Ability to adjust to multiple demands, shift work priorities and change.
- · Decisive.
- · Risk taker/change agent.